January 2, 2008

My Favorite Dad

This is my Dad's birthday card! I decided to just write a few stories about my dad that I will never forget.
Most stories take place when I was real young...I have always been a smartie!
I'm sure everyone knows these but its things I'll never forget!

I came home from my friend Vanessa Rohrer's house but when I was there I realized how big her dad's hands were. Plus to a little girl, they seem huge. That night after eating dinner, I said, "Dad, Vanessa's dad has real big hands." He just nodded and said, "Yes he does." I said, "But its ok Dad, you have a big belly!" He looked at me like, "I'm so happy you're my daughter."

The next happened when Dad was replacing fence in our "BIG" back yard and I sat in the truck! Like I said, things look a lot bigger when you're little. I just sat there and fiddled with his steering wheel cover. I took it off, then put it back on and did this for quite some time. Well all of a sudden, I had the urge to pee. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to bother Dad while he was working and I couldn't just squat outside because the neighbor boys might see me, and of course the house was too far away so I sat on DAD's side of the truck and went. I then just crawled over to the passenger side and waited. There was no way I was going to sit in my pee...I probably even knew I was going to get in trouble as soon as he sat down. Well he finished up the fence and hopped in the truck. As he sat, he slowly turned and looked at me and said, "Why is my seat all wet?" I just hung my head, "I had to go and I knew I couldn't make it to the house." He never seemed upset but I am so sure that he was. I mean afterall...it was his priceless truck.

Then there is the famous story of me being left outside in the FAMOUS TRUCK and froze. I know it was by accident tho.

We had rabbits...lots of rabbits and rabbits reproduce well like rabbits so they were everywhere it seemed. My dad built the cage under the road in the bridge which was very clever and so resourceful. We went to church and there had been a lot of moisture that year. My dad left church to go check on the animals and wouldn't you know it, there was water actually going under the bridge...probably the first time to happen since they had put it in. He became a rescuer and saved a lot of his bunnies....even to the extent of blow drying them dry. It was a sad day for Jim Reidhead.

In 5th grade dad was my teacher. He loved it! The first day, of class he asked me what I thought of his teaching. I told him he talked with his hands too much. The next day he tried sitting on his hands. He asked me what I thought again. I told him he talked too much now. The next day, he tried to sit on his hands and just get straight to the point. He had a swivel chair and sat in the front of the class. He turned around to write on the chalk board and bent over and he was "SMILING" so big. I tried to be real nice and tell him through my laughter, "Dad...Dad your crack is showing" but he couldn't make out what I was saying...he was still bent over. Finally I bursted out! "Your crack is showing!" The class roared with laughter. Dad went to the office and requested that I switch classes. I stayed in his class all year and we both loved it.

We used to clean buildings and it seemed like me and mom could do it so fast. Dad vacuumed while we did everything else. Finally I told him in my rude teenage way that he was SLOW. He said, "Danica, I'm not slow, I'm steady." That was all he said and he meant it.

Another time we were cleaning it was raining real hard. There was lightning and thunder all around us. We had to go through a gate that someone had to unlock but who?...DAD! Well right as he got to the gate and got the key in the lock, mom told me to honk the horn, I did and I have never seen Dad come so unglued! He jumped and probably thought he was going to die. Me and mom laughed so hard!

I have so many stories so we will just fast forward to now.

Now as a married girl it really hits home how much a good Dad like I had can influence a life. I know Dad has taught me so much and has always provided for our family and been worthy of so many things! I love him with all my heart and am so thankful for everything he has ever done for me. He and my mom made my wedding day beyond special and they sacrificed so much for me and I will never ever forget it. Thank you Dad for teaching me all that I know and for helping me stay focused on finding the man of my dreams who will always be right there for me.

13 comments:

Tamra and Jim said...

I like all your stories about Dad. That's the funnest kind of birthday card. I'm sure Dad enjoyed reading it. Love you lots!

Tamra and Jim said...

Thanks Danica I guess. Ha. Those are good stories. We did have a lot of good times. You were always such a joy to raise and have in our home. You were a tremendous helper and hard worker. I admired the way you always worked all summer and saved your money then blew it all on school clothes. You were one of the best dressed at school every year and one of the prettiest naturally because of your beautiful mom and studly dad. Ha!Another birthday has come and gone. Hurrah! When I was younger a person that is my age now used to be pretty old, but I'm relatively still pretty young. If I had a few more grandkids I might feel older. They will come soon enough I'm sure. Let's have a great year. Love, me, dad

Cody and Danica said...

You aren't old! But yes you'll have a lot more grandkids. Maybe a dozen or two from me and Cody. haha. Ok maybe just six...we'll just have to see. I just hope you spoil mine as much as you do Brody! I love you.

Tamra and Jim said...

Danica, I like your new blog setup. It looks really good. YOu did a great job with it.

Taralee said...

Brody's not spoiled by his nanna and g-pa....just tremendously loved. You need to have one so Brody is not lonesome at the family get togethers. mmmmkay.

Taralee said...

Did your blog get sick? It looks like it got a nice dose of Pepto Bismol! ha ha. J/k. I like it.

Cody and Danica said...

Uh Tara he is spoiled! Mom and Dad have seen him more than me! What the? haha jk. I guess its understandable...he is maybe a little cuter than me.

I gave the blog a shot of pepto because I am sick myself. It is a very personal blog. haha.

Love you!

Tamra and Jim said...

OK, so what if we spoil Brody a little bit. You kids were spoiled yourselves. ha We love you all the same and miss all of you. We wish you all lived here in Show Low with us but you'd probably get sick of us. Just ask Ryan. ;o) love mom
PS I added new pics to my blog...

Tamra and Jim said...

We're not intentionally seeing Brody more than you, it is just that you are a newlywed and need lots of private time. We will love and spoil your kids as much or more than we do Brody. It is just that he is the first one and you don't have any yet, so what's a person suppose to do? You've just been the baby too long and are use to all of our attention, now Cody gives that to you, which is great, so don't get all worked up over it, your turn is coming. Dad

Taralee said...

Have a kid...then they would come visit you and spoil your kid too.

Cody and Danica said...

Yes I know. Dad hit the nail on the head...I am used to being the spoiled one! haha. Well we'll have kids when we can and know we should...right now its like...if it happens we'll be ok with it but we would prefer not to.

Tamra and Jim said...

It's no one business but yours as to when you have kids. When you're ready they will come. Don't rush it. Enjoy the carefree years. Once you're a parent, you're ALWAYS a parent. Then you can't even dodge a cop or flip a person off without the kids repremanding you - so enjoy your time as a couple, just the two of you, building a bond and relationship that 12 screaming kids won't tear apart. Ha. Dad

Rustino Scar said...

oh hey, i love these stories and feel bad that i missed out on the commenting frenzy that was going on. I was laughing pretty good at your memories. good times!