October 2, 2009

Learning to be a Mother

So there was a point before Cole greeted us that I was positive he just wasn't going to come and I would never be a mother. Weird pregnancy thinking I guess...that and NEVER going into labor. However, after 27 hours of labor and pushing for an hour and 45 minutes he came into this world more perfect than I imagined. He has become my bestest little friend that I just can't ever be mad at even when he keeps me up for 5 hours at night and just wants to eat and eat. My milk must taste amazing! It feels as though he is constantly in my arms and I wouldn't have it any other way. He truly is the sweetest baby I could've asked for. He never really cries just kind of fusses. He rolled over when he was 4 days old. Me and mom just couldn't believe it. He is a stout little guy and so alert to everything around him. Oh I just love him.

Here is the birth story. I'll try to keep it short but come on...27 hours.

After being told that the hospital would contact me if they had an opening for induction, I got impatient and made the call myself. They told me to be at the hospital at 7:00. I couldn't believe it.
They started the induction and I had a couple nurses with the shortest fingers so you can imagine how I was feeling when they had to check progress. One girl almost got kicked in the face because she was telling me to relax with a big smile on her face. I think I actually muttered a swear word. That nurse never checked me again. PTL.
About 1:00 am I was dialated to a 2 so they moved me into the delivery room and hooked me up to the pitocin.
My parents arrived at some point along with my brother Rustin and mother in law Marilyn.
The contractions were getting stronger at 3 so they gave me a pain killer that just kinda took the edge off. Totally makes you feel drunk.
I felt a little pop below my ribs. I just figured I was getting kicked. The nurse came to check on me and I had to pee. When I leaned up I felt a huge gush. I told her I was peeing the bed and panic hit me. I didn't know what to do. My mom was laughing and the nurse asked if I could stop and I said, "no! Its just pouring out." "Thats your water breaking." That made more sense because the urge to pee was still there.
I got the epidural when the drunk medicine wore off and from then on I was in heaven (or close to it). I finally got a couple hours of sleep.
About 8:00 the doctor came in to check and I was at a 9 for about 2 hours but my cervix would not finish dialating and he still hadn't dropped any. The doctor started talking about a c-section and I just started crying. Everyone tried to comfort me and I'll never forget Cody telling me it would be ok if I didn't have him natural because it was safer. You see my uterus was starting to swell so the doctor didn't want me to push for three hours and then end up doing an emergency c-section. She told me she'd give me another hour to see if there would be any progress.

This is when a tender mercy took place. Cody and my dad gave me a Priesthood blessing and everyone got on their phones asking everyone we knew to say a prayer in mine and the baby's behalf. I was calm by then and had prepared myself for the c-section. She came in to check 30 minutes later, after telling Cody there was no other option, and when she checked she looked up at the nurse totally surprised and said, "Wow, its totally changed. You're ready to push." It was a total blessing.

So the pushing began. Cody was by my head. He actually couldn't stand up for a while because it was a little much for him to handle. Dad sat in the corner and sent text messages and got all the cameras ready (even the video camera from 1992). Marilyn held one leg and my mom held the other. I'm sure they are still sore! I began to get exhausted and my ribs and back killed! We could all see his head so I figured I was almost done. Wrong. Mom would say, "push push push push push push push" a million times over on each contraction and the nurse would count and Cody would hold me up. Towards the end I was running short on oxygen and I fainted. My mom said, "uh I think she just fainted." The nurse gave me oxygen and the doctor pinched my arm. They gave me some water and I started to chug it. They tried to slow me down but who were they kidding? Next push I told them I was going to throw up so Cody held the little dish next to my mouth when I totally launched. It hit the bottom of the dish and exploded out all over Cody. He starts yelling, "my favorite shirt! My favorite shirt!" He was trying to clean his shirt when the doctor yelled, "get over here or you're going to miss the whole thing." Apparently my puking was what pushed little Cole out. They put them up on my chest and I was immediate in love. Overwhelmed for sure. I didn't quite know what to say to him but I knew he was mine. Cody cut the cord with only a little bit of hesitation and thats when Cole started to make some noise. I always thought the sound of crying babies was annoying but it wasn't. I was so excited. They took him and cleaned him up and stitched me up. The first thing I asked for was food and I snarfed down a cinnabon.

From that moment on, my life was changed. If only I could describe how I feel. Maybe this will paint a picture. On his 2 day check up he got a shot and I was the one who ate the sucker because it hurt me more than it did him. What a wimp right?

Thats the story. He is our beautiful little boy who truly is a blessing.

He has my hands, feet, ears, nose and lips and Cody's eyes and chin.


Tamra and Jim said...

He is definitely a keeper and a beautiful baby. We love him so much already. He hardly makes a whimper and he loves bath time, too. Thanks for letting me be a part of the big event!

Natalie said...

DAnica!! I am so happy for you:) I live in Thatcher again like a loser, and I think about you and all our fun times a lot! Miss ya!

Amanda Griggs said...

What a story! I chuckled at your launching! I love your birth story. Congrats! From the moment you lay eyes on them you are in love!!

The Lewis Lovebirds! said...

a tear litterally just fell down my cheek. im so lame. Congrats Danica im so happy for you!

KacieFlake said...

Congratulations! Isn't it the best! I know what you mean about the sucker - blood, needles, etc. don't bother me at all but when Cooper had to have a test done I started feeling dizzy and a ton of anxiety!

Liz said...

Thanks for posting your story. I'm so glad he is finally here for you to hold and cuddle. He's so cute! Congrats

Ginny said...

CONGRATS!!! I am soo happy for you! Somehow I had lost your blog so I haven't been following it until I just found it again! I'm so glad I did!!!! I hope you're doing good and that the recovery is going well for you!